I’ve included my entire professional work history, showing breadth and depth in the various traditional and non-traditional duties of a professional communicator.
Communications Director – Utah Association of Counties – Salt Lake City, UT – May 2002 to Present
• Oversee all aspects of all association events, including two annual three-day conventions that involve hundreds of participants.
• Increased organization’s sponsor/exhibiting/advertising revenue by 150%.
• Orchestrated successful political forum, involving eight candidates running for governor of Utah.
• Oversight of organization’s entire web presence, including four different sites and several social media platforms.
• Designed and published dozens of PR, event, communications, training, and general marketing materials (including newsletters, signage, manuals).
• Created and promoted 7th grade county government/civics lesson materials for entire state (37,000 students/yr).
• Developed and administrate continuing education credit program for five different county elected offices in Utah.
Marketing Specialist – MarketStar Corporation – Ogden, UT – April 2001 to May 2002
• Streamlined and simplified development of multi-million dollar proposals to hi-tech industry.
• Researched, wrote, and edited case studies and thought leadership papers for e-mail marketing campaign.
• Assisted in development of proposed marketing strategies to national office products retailer.
• Provided technical assistance in content, style, and readability of all marketing materials.
Communications Director – Ogden/Weber Chamber of Commerce – Ogden, UT – November 1997 to April 2001
• Doubled Chamber’s presence in local and Salt Lake City media.
• Developed several online media relations tools to increase presence of Chamber members in the media.
• Reduced Chamber expenses by $50,000 in first two years by developing marketing cost savings plan.
• Developed and implemented an e-commerce marketing & communications initiative.
• Created styleguide, streamlining design, colors, logos, icons, fonts, and other elements.
• Participated in one-year community leadership/awareness program.
• Direct production and writing of all publications (including two electronic newsletters) and collateral materials.
• Serve as liaison to Chamber ambassador group that conducts about 50 ribbon cutting events annually.
• Oversee advertising sales staff and one assistant that reach team goals of accuracy, deadlines, and revenue.
Marketing/Communication Associate – United Way of Salt Lake City – Salt Lake City, UT – July 1996 to Nov. 1997
• Managed most in-house desktop publishing and video creation activities.
• Oversaw the entire production of three quarterly newsletters.
• Wrote copy and designed wide variety of collateral materials.
• Created and maintained organization’s first Web site.
• Assisted with many roles and many levels of responsibility at events involving 10 to 2000 people.
• Collaborated with a wide variety of vendors on print, video, event and other projects.
Copywriter/Editor – Pinnacle Marketing & Communications, Inc. – Ogden, UT – August 1995 to July 1996
• Consulted with clients to develop effective copy for marketing collateral.
• Wrote copy for print advertisements, news releases, brochures, and catalogs.
• Wrote scripts for radio and video.
Publicity Coordinator – Campus Recreation at Weber State University – Ogden, UT – March 1995 to February 1996
• Generated news releases for various recreational workshops, trips, and events.
• Created publicity campaign for youth soccer camps.
• Collected a database of media contacts for mailing news releases.
• Designed and wrote copy for a variety of marketing collateral materials.
Copywriter/Editor – Media Relations at Weber State University – Ogden, UT – January 1996 to June 1996
• Wrote and edited news releases.
• Generated ideas for news releases.
• Helped track news releases that were published.
Advertising Manager – The Signpost at Weber State University – Ogden, UT – June 1994 to June 1995
• Directed all advertising sales for a tri-weekly student newspaper.
• Oversaw a staff of three sales reps.
• Assisted clients and designers in the creation of effective advertisements and campaigns.
• Worked directly with student advisor, editor-in-chief, and production director to produce quality student publication.
Advertising Representative – The Scroll at BYU-Idaho – Rexburg, ID – August 1992 to April 1993
• Sold advertising space for weekly student newspaper.
• Worked with clients to create and build effective advertisements and campaigns.